Two dollars in 1880 bought a yearlong subscription to the Southwestern Christian Advocate, a newspaper published in New Orleans by the Methodist Book Concern and distributed to nearly five hundred preachers, eight hundred post offices, and more than four thousand subscribers in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Arkansas. The "Lost Friends" column, which ran from the paper's 1877 inception well into the first decade of the twentieth century, featured messages from individuals searching for loved ones lost in slavery.
This searchable database provides access to more than 1000 advertisements that appeared in the Southwestern Christian Advocate between November 1879 and September 1884. Digital reproductions of the Lost Friends ads are courtesy of Louisiana State University Libraries Special Collections, Hill Memorial Library.
© 2016 - The Historic New Orleans Collection